Along with providing many types of services, Bureau of Indian Standard (BIS) is prevailing the product certification scheme for Foreign Manufacturers as well under Foreign manufacturers Certification Scheme (FMCS), since the year 2000. The ISI Certificate is acknowledged to all the Foreign Manufacturers who manufactures some listed products, for using Standard Mark on items that passes as per Indian Standard. The Foreign Manufacturers Certification Scheme is applicable to all products except Electronics and IT goods notified by Deity. The Certificate is provided by Foreign Manufacturers Certification Department which is located at Bureau of Indian Standard, New Delhi office. The product which satisfies the requirement of the Indian Standard can get the Certificate under voluntary or mandatory certification. ISI Certificate is issued to the product which is manufactured and tested as per the relevant Indian Standard and then Standard mark is applied to that product.
Who Can Apply Under FMCS?
The company which is situated outside India is applicable for FMCS.
Following points should be taken into the consideration by the manufacturers while applying for ISI Certificate:
- Make sure that all products are classified under Indian Standards Specification.
- At the factory premises, all the manufacturing facility should be available.
- Testing of the products as per Indian Standards Specification (ISS), proper arrangement for the same must be available at the factory premises.
- The scheme of testing fees must be accepted by the manufacturer.
- Company must accept the Terms & Conditions of Certificate.
Procedure for FMCS Service
- Once the application process is registered, the BIS authority will calibrate the application and if there any queries it will be communicated to the applicant by e-mail or phone.
- The applicant will be informed that BIS Officer visits at a given scheduled time. At the time of the visit by the officer, the officer will verify the manufacturing & testing infrastructure and some samples for independent testing.
- The applicant needs to pay the visit charges as well as testing charges to the authority for further processing of application.
- Certificate will be valid for 1 year a.nd can then be further renewed for next 1 year.