ISI stands for Indian Standards Institute. The ISI Mark is granted to the products of the manufacturers by Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS), which is the standardization authority of India. There are many government standard institutes in India that test such products properly.
If you are manufacturing any such product and you want to show that your product is safe for the consumers and is a quality product, then you have to apply to Indian Standards Institute to prove it, after that, you will have your product there have to submit.
In the Indian Standards Institute, your product will pass through all types of standards, i.e, your product will be examined very closely. If your product is passed by the Indian Standards Institute, then a certificate of ISI Mark is given for your product. You can sell your product in the Indian market with that ISI Mark.
Purpose and benefits of ISI Registration
The purposes of the ISI marked products are as below:
- Provide quality assurance of any product or good
- Improve the confidence of the customer while buying the good
- Provide a safeguard to the health of the customer
- Mitigating product rejections
Following are the benefits of the ISI marked products:
- An ISI marked product verifies its quality to its customers
- An ISI marked product decreases the business’s losses as well as product brushoff
- An ISI marked product guarantees both better performance and longer self-life
Is it mandatory to obtain ISI Mark / apply for ISI Registration?
The Government of India, as well as the Bureau of Indian Standards, makes it mandatory to obtain ISI mark on specific products sold in India. Those products cover electrical equipment and industrial goods also. However, from September 2012, ISI is mandatory for certified steel products and other items.
Mandatory Products that require ISI Registration
- Household Electrical Goods
- Food Items
- Medical Equipments
- Oil Pressure Stoves and Cylinders
- Automobile Components
- Electrical Motors and Transformers
- Steel Products
- Milk Powder
- Kitchen Appliance
- Steel Products
- LPG related product
- Chemicals and Fertilizers
- Air Conditioners and related parts
- Plugs and Socket-outlets
- Tranparent Float Glass
- Domestic Pressure Cooker
- Aluminium Foil, etc.
Who can apply for ISI Registration?
Any manufacturer who needs ISI Mark for its product and has the ability to meet the BIS standards, can apply for ISI certification. There are two ways to obtain certification: Send the application to the BIS office. And the second one is the BIS officer evaluates the manufacturer's ability to produce products according to BIS standards.
Process of ISI Registration
As we already discussed above that ISI registration is compulsory. If you are considering to obtain ISI registration, then you have to follow the below steps:
Step-1: You have to choose the product code
- You are required to select the product quality as directed in the ISI.
- Recognize an ISI standard code for your product
Step-2: Filling the Application Form
- Once you choose the product code then you have to file the registration application form. (Form-V).
- Affix all the required documents along with the application form.
- In this step, you need to pay fees as asked for the certification and review of your factory premise.
Step-3: Inspection of the Factory premise
- In the successful submission of the application, Inspection team and the persons authorized by the Government will visit the factory premise. They will examine the factory premise and quality control process.
- The inspection team will get some samples of your product and good for testing in BIS approved lab.
Step-4: Collection of Test Report
- Get lab test report of the sample done by the inspection team
- Submit the lap report to BIS.
Step-5: Issuance of ISI registration certificate
- Once all the above steps are done with proper verification of the testing report then BIS application form will issue a registration certificate.
Documents for ISI Registration
- Company Registration Certificate
- Property tax Receipt
- Insurance policy
- Submit the rent agreement if a property is rented
- Phone bill
- Electricity bill
- Bank statement
- Company directors Aadhar card
- Voter ID card
- Driving License
- Test Reports
- Manufacturing machinery complete list
- Copies of calibration certificates of testing equipment
How much time is needed to get ISI certificate?
Usually, it takes 30 days from the date of submission of an application to get ISI certificate.
Validity and Renewal for ISI Registration Certificate
The license to use ISI Mark shall originally be granted for not less than one year and up to two years. For extension of product varieties covered in the license, application with requisite fee and documents under the existing license may be submitted.
Brand Liaison is a professionally managed company with qualified ISI Mark Registration Consultants providing fast and reliable ISI Registration Services to Indian as well as foreign product manufacturers. For foreign manufacturers, Brand Liaison acts as Authorized Indian Representative (AIR) and represent their business to the Indian government and also assist in brand building for Indian market.