Extended Producer Responsibility or EPR is the assurance given by a manufacturer to facilitate a reverse collection mechanism and recycling of end of life, post-consumer waste recycling. The purpose is to circle it back into the system to recover resources embedded in the waste. EPR is a method and policy approach in which producers are made liable for collecting and processing their manufactured products upon the end of their lifetime. Responsibility may be fiscal, physical or a combination of both.
What is EPR India Registration?
With the growing of e-waste, governments have reviewed available policy options and concluded that placing the responsibility for the post-consumer phase of certain goods on producers could be an option. In principle, delegating such responsibility may provide incentives to prevent waste at source, promote product design for the environment, and support the achievement of public recycling and materials management goals. The trend within the OECD is towards the expansion of EPR for new products, product groups and waste streams such as electrical equipment and electronics.
Purpose and benefits of EPR Registration
- EPR India Plan reduces the effort of local municipalities for the physical and financial requirement of waste management
- Promoting recycling and use of refurbished product or parts thereof
- Decrease the number of other waste disposal methods such as disposal by burning or burying- by another way of disposal such as destroy by burning or burying produce formaldehyde, hydrogen chloride, sulfur dioxide, dioxins and furans, dioxins and furans are more dangerous when inhaled as gases and land structure gets damaged respectively
- EPR India emphasis on cleaner production and products to reduce e-waste - Extended Producer Responsibility (EPR)
- Natural resources are limited so EPR is promoting the more efficient use of EPR India Plan
- Sustainable development is very important for society and EPR India plan attracts society towards the firm
- Extended Producers Responsibility (EPR India) Plan encouraging more efficient and competitive manufacturing of Electrical and Electronic Equipment
- EPR India Plan arrange to enhance the ease and promptness of dismantling products for recycling and reuse of product
- EPR India Plan work on how to reduce hazardous substances in electrical and electronic equipment
- Promoting more integrated management of the environment by emphasizing the product life (Electrical and Electronic equipment’s life) defined in the EPR India plan so EPR promoting more integrated management of the environment by emphasizing that
- EPR India Plan assist in improving material management
- Beneficial for consumer, etc.
Types of EPR India Registration
- EPR E-Waste Management And Handlings: Producers of electrical or electronics equipment, are held liable to manage E-Waste Management and handlings after its End of Life. According to the environmental policy, the pronounced producer has the responsibility, for reducing environmental impact and managing the product and their waste, are extended to across the whole life cycle of the product.
- EPR Plastic Waste Management And Handlings: According to the rules of e-waste management 2016, it is the responsibility of the manufacturer of electrical or electronic equipment for the channelization of e-waste. EPRs may include implementing a take-back system or setting up collection centers, or both and agree with either the individual or collectively authorized dismantling or renewal through a manufacturer-recognized Producer Responsibility Organization (PRO) may be arranged.
Who can apply for EPR Registration?
EPR India Registration is done under the Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB) for channelization of E-Waste. Currently, EPR India Registration is applicable on products items to all or any importer, manufacturer, consumer, bulk consumer, producer, dealers, e-retailer involved in manufacture, sale, transfer, storage and processing of e-waste or electronic devices including their elements, consumables and spare parts.
Is it mandatory to obtain EPR India Registration?
EPR Registration is a mandatory registration for authorization from EPR for producers belonging to the electronic sector.
Product categories for EPR Registration
There are 2 major products categories which requires EPR Authorization in India:
- Information Technology and Telecommunication Equipments
- Consumer Electrical and Electronics
Mandatory Products for EPR Registration
Below is the list of products for which EPR India Registration is mandatory:
Information Technology and Telecommunication Equipments
- Personal Computing: Personal Computers (CPU with input and output devices)
- Centralized data processing: Mainframe and Minicomputer
- Personal Computing: Laptop Computers(CPU with input and output devices)
- Personal Computing: Notebook Computers
- Personal Computing: Notepad Computers
- Printers including cartridges
- Copying equipment
- Electrical and electronic typewriters
- User terminals and systems
- Pay telephones
- Cordless telephones
- Cellular telephones
- Answering System
Consumer Electrical and Electronics
- Television sets (including sets based on (LCD and LED technology)
- Washing Machine
- Air-conditioners excluding centralized air conditioning plants
- Fluorescent and other Mercury containing lamps
Process of EPR Registration
EPR India Registration involves the following steps:
Step-1: In case you are a producer, check the electronic equipment list in schedule-I. If you are engaged in producing the electrical and electronic equipment mentioned in the list, proceed for the EPR Authorization procedure.
Step-2: The producer shall make an application in Form - 1, for the grant of EPR authorization. The application must be made within a period of 3 months starting from the date of commencement of these rules to State Pollution Control Board (SPCB) when you are selling the product in one state and to the Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB) when you are selling the product in more than one state.
Step-3: Once the EPR India application is received by the respective board, the application for EPR authorization shall be scrutinized and if found complete in all respects shall be proceeded further or otherwise shall raise inquiry, thereafter on being satisfied that the producer has an effective system to manage EPR in the country, shall recommend granting EPR India Authorization by Central Pollution Control Board.
Step-4: The authorization is provided in Form-1(aa) within a period of 120 days
Step-5: The evaluating committee is constituted by the Central Pollution Control Board with the representative members of State Pollution Control Boards or Pollution Control Committees. Such Committee is constituted after evaluating the State-specific EPR India Plan.
Documents for EPR Registration
The documents required for EPR India Registration are as follows:
- Aadhar card of the authorized person
- PAN copy of the authorized person
- GST certificate of organization
- Rent / lease / proof of ownership
- Factory license/trade license
- Electricity bill
- Layout / plan of the unit
- CIN (Certificate of Incorporation) in case of company/LLP
- Memorandum of Association (MOA)
- Articles of Association (AOA)
- Board resolution for appointing an authorized person
Validity and Renewal for EPR Registration Certificate
EPR India Certificate for Authorization is valid for 5 years and it can be renewed subsequently. Few documents and fees will be needed to get a renewal.
Brand Liaison has a team of professional EPR Authorization Consultants that provide speedy EPR India Services to Indian as well as foreign manufacturers in terms of EPR Registration. Brand Liaison offers various compliance and approval services for Indian market.